Tuesday 22 September 2009

Bessler's wheel the solution to global warming?

It might be thought that I am only concerned with building a copy of Bessler's wheel and not with what might happen with it afterwards. Nothing could be further from the truth. I see this device as offering the best solution to global warming and saving the planet. How might this be done?

I was reading an article about maritime emissions - it seems that the world's shipping is emitting double the amount of CO2 the aviation industry emits and yet they are not covered by the Kyoto accord, so there's no cap on how much they can emit..

Separate studies suggest that maritime carbon dioxide emissions are not only higher than previously thought, but could rise by as much as 75% in the next 15 to 20 years if world trade continues to grow and no action is taken. The figures from the oil giant BP, which owns 50 tankers, and researchers at the Institute for Physics and Atmosphere in Wessling, Germany reveal that annual emissions from shipping range between 600 and 800m tonnes of carbon dioxide, or up to 5% of the global total. This is nearly double Britain's total emissions (we are the 7th worst polluter in the world) and more than all African countries combined. And yet we are warned about the effects of such carbon emissions from aircraft and the virtues of carbon credits are extolled. How come shipping has escaped censure?

It has always seemed to me to be a remote possibility that Besslers wheel might somehow be encapsulated within an automobile to provide free, clean transportation - it is much more likely to be used to charge the batteries of an all electric car. But a complete impossibility, I think, to place such a device in an aircraft, but what about ships?

These enormous container ships and of course the mighty supertankers, have huge amounts of space within their hulls to place giant besslerwheels. Could they be engineered to provide sufficient power to drive these leviathans of the deep?

Motor vehicles are one of the biggest source of atmospheric pollution, contributing an estimated 14% of the world's carbon dioxide emissions, a proportion that is steadily rising, but electricity generation is responsible for 40 percent of all CO2 emissions.

So, we could, in theory, cut almost 60% of global CO2 emissions by simply using Bessler's wheel to drive ships and charge up electric autos and to generate domestic electricity. A pipe dream? Maybe, maybe not.

Bessler's wheel is real; it does not conflict with the laws of physics; it will be a major contribution to saving the planet from the excesses of global warming.

I am continuing to work at the reconstruction and I hope to have it finished soon. Recent calls on my time have prevented me from finishing the prototype but it should be ready soon - I hesitate to predict a finishing date since things have a habit of spoiling one's plans but I do recall placing a bet that it would be ready before 2009 is out. It should be much sooner than that, but in any case I know there are others in this race who are as confident as I, so all being well, one or more of us will cross the finishing line in the very near future so we shall have Bessler's wheel within weeks.

JC

4 comments:

  1. Ah, well, if you think you can make a car out of it your design must be pretty neat. Virtually every idea I've had, including my current (no secret to this principle) would have to be VERY heavy to do much work and too heavy to lift themselves. A car that only goes downhill isn't much use.

    Boats are different though. I thought about Bessler re-tooling his wheel to use on the water, but I've always pictured something like a life raft with a built in continuous drive. I dunno... There must have been a reason why he did not shoot for simply powering the whole ship altogether. Probably because sails were loads better?

    Still hoping you'll share soon. I'm especially interested in hammers and anvils. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always figured that whatever the mechanism was that powered Bessler's wheel was, you could essentially reverse its operative principle by using buoyancy as opposed to gravity to power is. Depending on the weight of the gravity driven mechanism it might be worth it to use buoyancy instead. Keep in mind that the average cars engine weighs several hundred pounds. The same principle could most definitely be used for large ships (something I have never considered before)...

    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anonymous, you just gave me an idea for an experiment. Gurbakhsh Singh Mann claimed his worked both ways too. I'm initially skeptical as to whether the principle I'm looking at will show the same behavior underwater. I'd probably be the first to check that aspect.

    Speaking of Mann's device, the design does stir the imagination. The odd angle and the way the heavy weight is made to create pressure on the runner is really clever. It's got just enough plausibility to keep me interested. Though it's still just the proverbial boot strap so far as I can tell. He does have a group of 3 weights that lean out, I'm assuming toward the direction of movement. It's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting indeed. It brings to mind, Bessler's claim to have invented a ship that cannot capsize.

    ReplyDelete

The True Story of Bessler’s Perpetual Motion Machine.

On  6th June, 1712, in Germany, Johann Bessler (also known by his pseudonym, Orffyreus) announced that after many years of failure, he had s...