Wednesday 3 June 2009

Reconstruction analysed

I have spent time testing the reconstruction I created and following analysis of the wheel's action I am certain that the problem lies in timing. In the paper I have written in which I described the design and principle which underlies Bessler's wheel I made specific comment about the necessity to get the timing correct. It is therefore somewhat embarrasing to admit that I had forgotten to ensure that the weights, when moved, did so, not one moment before a particular point during each revolution. In fact they are acting too soon and having an effect which is
tending to counter the advantage they give towards rotation.

There are a couple of ways I can correct this and one of them is to lengthen the operating arm which moves the weight so that it is further on in the cycle when the action begins; and another is to try to delay the initiating action of the operating arm. I realise that this means nothing to anyone who hasn't seen the design, which is everyone, but I still want to keep people updated as to the state of play regarding my project.

The paper I referred to above is still being kept confidential for now.

JC

3 comments:

  1. Good! You could postpone the other plans you had and were able to go back to work on the
    reconstruction and analyzed it!
    You said there are two ways to correct the timing: One of them, lengthening the operating arm which moves the weight so that it is further on in the cycle when the action begins; which will
    advance the timing, and another is to try to delay the initiating action of the operating arm, which will delay the timing. Does this mean that you're not certain if you have to advance or delay timing and that you'll have to try both?

    By the way, in your former blog you said your mind is made up not to patent your reconstruction of Bessler wheel, is it so, because it wouldn't be patented because it's not a new invention since it was invented by Bessler almost three hundred years ago?

    Lucius Anneus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exiting to follow your progress...
    I think what you said about the action happening to early may be a good thing. When analyzing the mechanical facts about the besslerwheel, and after calculating what the mechanisms had to be doing, I found that if unrestricted the mechanisms would act to early and work opposite to the desired effect. Same as if oversped. Good luck, crossing fingers for you !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucius, I meant that if I lengthen the operating arm it puts the weight further around the wheel so making the action take place past a certain point on the wheel, alternatively I could simply delay the action of the operating arm causing the same action.

    And thank you sten stad.

    JC

    ReplyDelete

The Legend of Bessler’s (Orffyreus’s) Wheel - The Facts

  The Legend of Bessler’s Wheel or the Orffyreus Wheel and the verifiable facts. Some fifty years ago, after I had established (to my satisf...