Building this prototype has made me realise how clever Bessler was to squeeze all of these mechanisms. into such a thin wheel. His first wheel was only four inches thick and even allowing for very thin coverings there wasn’t much room inside. On the plus side, in my version none of the mechanisms overlap so there isn’t a problem of them taking up too much room within the internal depth of the wheel.
I’ve placed ten pivot points, two per mechanism. The levers are a little complex and getting their configuration right requires a small amount of trial and adjustment. I deliberately did not say trial and error, because that is not the case; it is necessary to find the optimum arrangement and this can only be defined accurately by trying slightly different adjustments to each part. I know exactly how they are supposed to work. Once the exact proportions of one lever is correctly determined, the others can be made in the same manner.
Although none of the five mechanisms overlap in their actions, they are connected in pairs so that as one weight falls another is lifted. There is no requirement for one pound to lift four pounds as I have explained many times. Yet, although doomed to failure, people still try to design a system thst can do that. This is what Bessler said, “as one weight falls 90 degrees it’s paired one is lifted suddenly just 30 degrees.”
The next and final part is designing connections between each pair of mechanisms. At first I assumed two pulleys per mechanisms would do the job, but I’ve discovered that that won’t work because they get in the way of the action of the levers. It’s quite likely that the configuration can be altered to include the pulleys in their most effective position. But for now I’ve had to make alterations to the positions and even the use of the pulleys and for this prototype I’m not using them. The alternative is to replace the pulleys with a simple eye from a hook-and-eye fastener. This would be fine for a short demonstration but not for long term use. The cord I’m using slips easily and smoothly through the eye.
My five weights are small and roughly equal to about 2 ounces each. Each one can easily lift another weight a short distance quickly. Larger weights would produce more speed and overcome the friction inherent in my home-made bearings but I’m only trying to prove the design and not make a 50 rpm wheel……yet.
I’m not posting pictures until I’ve tested this device to see if it works, before I share anything more informative. Someone commented that no one could simulate the design unless I included a picture but I don’t want anyone to simulate it yet, not until I’ve tested it as a working model. What I can say is the designs were completed by studying several drawings in AP and DT, plus the ‘Toys’ page and hints from a few others. Even then I had to have a much needed kick up the backside by means of a sudden revelation about a drawing in the ‘Toys’ page which linked with another drawing which I thought I had understood, but I hadn’t considered for long enough all the potential variables possible.
Anyway, slow progress but creeping progress at least. Quite a lot of careful assembly necessary to get the levers working correctly. As I’ve said many times, I will share all of it once I’ve tested it, working or not working, because I believe I’m very close to what Bessler designed, so my efforts might be enough for someone else to finish it. I’m aiming to finish one way or the other by New Year’s Eve, if not before.
GB Grundlicher Bericht
AP Apologia Poetica
DT Das Triumphirende
MT Maschinen Tractate.